Cueva del Viento
La Cueva del Viento in Tenerife
Discover the longest volcanic tube in Europe created by lava flows from Pico Viejo, located next to Teide. Along its 17 km extension, you can find three different levels of passages with very beautiful geomorphological phenomena, like chasms, terraces and other lava forms. La Cueva del Viento owes its name to the strong air currents that are produced in its labyrinth interior.
An introduction into speleology
Our professional guides will teach you about the wide variety of structures in the tube such as lava cascades and stalactites, lateral terraces and lava lakes, among others, as well as exogenous concretions of different composition (calcium carbonate, cristobalite, and other silica compounds).
Cueva del Viento Fauna
The cave also contains its own invertebrate fauna (190 species), fossilised remains of extinct vertebrate animals (such as the giant rat and lizard) and other skeletal remains of species that are now extinct on the island. Enter this labyrinth and let yourself be surprised by its beautiful contrasts, its natural beauty its history, its life…
- Explore one of the longest volcanic tubes in the world.
- Enjoy a guided tour during which you will get to know the world of volcanism, its flora and fauna.
- Discover its more than 17 km of labyrinth passages filled with beautiful geomorphological forms.
- Admission to La Cueva del Viento
- Guide who will interpret the surroundings
- Helmet with torch attached
Visitors Centre is open from Tuesday to Saturday from 9.00 to 16.00 h.
- It is not allowed to bring animals.
- Children younger than 5 years old should not be brought on this tour.
- People who suffer from claustrophobia or who have bone, knee or ankle mobility problems should refrain from this activity.
How to dress:
Wear long pants and hiking boots or sports shoes.
- Always follow the instructions of the guide; do not take unmarked passages, never separate from the group.
- Do not leave garbage behind during your visit, or alter the cave; remember that this is a highly valued protected ecosystem.
- Do not take any material from the cave.
- It is recommended that you make reservations in advance by phone.
- Guided tours will be done with 14 people, if you arrive late you will not be able to particpate.
If you feel fatigued, immediately tell the guide.
Where to find us
Street: Camino La Patita nº32
Postal Code: 38430
Municipality: Santa Cruz de Tenerife
How to get there by car:
If you are coming on TF1 from the south, take the North connection and then take TF5 heading toward Puerto de la Cruz. Once the highway ends, continue on the road toward Icod de los Vinos.
How to get there using Titsa (bus):
Take the bus to Icod de los vinos and a taxi to the Visitors Centre